The UK is well known for its excellent boarding schools, and your decision to take your child to one is a great one. There are several important factors that you should take into account before you enrol your child – just because a school is good doesn’t mean that it will be right for your child. You should involve your child in the process of choosing which boarding school they will attend so that when the time comes they will be able to fit in better.
The most vital consideration is obviously academic performance – the reason why you are taking your child to a boarding school in the UK in the first place is so that they can excel. Each year the performance of boarding schools is published on certain websites, but you can also ask the school to provide you with results from previous years.
The location of the school matters too – you want to be able to travel easily, since you will have to drop and pick your child at the beginning and end of each term. Ideally, the school that you pick should be connected to a good transport system, preferably railroad – since you will be coming from abroad it is the easiest way to travel. You may feel tempted to choose a school close to London but remember that these are quite competitive and they fill up fast.
Make sure that you choose a school that ahs extracurricular activities that your child is interested in – they will find it easier to fit in. It should also have lots of field trips, so that your child can learn about culture, arts and more.
The Cambridge Centre for Sixth Form Studies is one such school. It offers a wide curriculum and has a great faculty. You can find out how to enrol your child on their website, https://www.ccss.co.uk/.
The time has come for a remodel in your Cambridge home and you need to choose a carpenter for the woodwork – who should you go with? This is a question that many Cambridge homeowners find themselves facing because there are many carpenters in the area. The best way to choose a carpenter is to take the following into account:
• Do they have the right kind of experience for your project? Different carpenters focus on different specialties. There are some, for example, who do only flooring while there are others who delve into areas such as cabinets, wardrobes, windows and doors and so on. Before you hire ask them to show you photos of projects similar to yours that they have done on the past.
• How much payment do they require upfront? Ideally carpenters should ask you for 30% of the total cost before they get started. If they ask for more they may be planning to abscond with your money before the work is done.
• Find out if they are members of any accrediting associations. These associations exist to ensure quality work and good carpenters make it a point to join one or two.
• Do a criminal background check before you hire any carpenter – the last thing you want is to hire one who later comes back to burgle you.
• Everyone who will be working on your carpentry projects should have workman’s compensation. If they don’t and they get injured while working for you they may hold you liable for their medical bills.
• Check for negative reviews before you hire.
One carpenter you can be sure will complete your bespoke project expertly is ALN Carpentry and Joinery. They have been in business for many years and they specialize in many different types of carpentry. You can find out more on their website, http://www.alncarpentryandjoinery.com/.
You plan to send your child to a private school but have no idea how to go about finding a good one – where do you start? Here is a checklist:
• Talk to your child about your decision to take them to boarding school. If they feel very strongly about not changing schools you should drop the idea of private boarding schools and look at other options.
• If they feel the idea is a good one make a list of schools that you think would be ideal. Look into the academic record of each and also check the curriculum. Ask to see a typical timetable from each school and see how balanced the subject matter is.
• Look into how much pressure each school puts on its students. There are some schools in the UK that push kids far too hard and this can have damaging psychological effects. If your kid is not particularly sharp you should send them to a school where there isn’t so much competition between students.
• Do you want your child to go to a single-sex or a co-educational school? Some research has shown that children are better able to focus without distractions of the opposite sex but at the same time they may miss out on sex education.
• Do you want to send your child to a day or boarding school? Boarding schools are excellent because they eliminate the need for a daily commute and children are better focused, but it can be lonely for a child to go to boarding school especially if they are very young. It is up to you to decide what is best for your child.
One school that comes highly recommended in Hertfordshire is St. Francis College. It has an excellent curriculum and well trained teachers. You can find out more on their website, https://www.st-francis.herts.sch.uk/.
RAT Stands specializes in orchestral music stands for all events. In fact, the first RAT stand was created back in 1976 – as a cutting-edge illuminated unit. We were also commissioned by one of the UK’s leading opera companies to design and build the stand. Since then, our products have been featured across 500 operate houses, concert halls, theaters and civic centers all over the globe. Our stands are not only durable for conductors and performers alike – but designed to enhance any performance with aesthetically-pleasing light and eye-catching illumination systems.
The RAT Stand Experience
RAT Stands continues to receive stellar industry ratings and customer reviews. In fact, our design philosophies always reflect the current and burgeoning musical performance trends. This is what enables us to create and produce stands and lighting – that stand the test of time and can adapt to any musical genre or environment. From operas and plays to concerts and live performance, RAT Stands are technically advanced and designed to support artists, musicians, conductors, and entertainers. We are also proud to feature a full range of orchestral music stands and accessories, including but not limited to:
• Music and orchestral stands – adjustable, standard, lightweight – mobile.
• Conductor stands for operas and all live musical performances.
• Innovative and cutting-edge lighting and illumination products and services.
• Speed Decks.
• Tablet Stands.
• Chairs – performer chairs, conductor chairs and more.
Our classic orchestral stands are designed with contemporary and traditional components. This includes slender metal parts, along with an elegantly formed natural birch wood tray. The trays can also be stained to correlate with any musical or concert hall décor and theme. These stands are perfect for professional musicians, conductors, and entertainers the world over.
Many people, especially the younger generations, have no idea that there is such a thing as a milkman. They are very keen about eating organic foods but they still drink milk out of cartons. If you are health conscious you may want to think about finding a home milk delivery service. This is a service that brings fresh, organic milk right to your door. All you need to do is leave a bottle out on your doorstep before you go to bed. The milkman comes very early in the morning with a fresh bottle of milk and takes away the one that you left out.
This kind of milk delivery services has several advantages. The first is that you drink the very best milk – organic and straight from the farm. You will not have to worry about what cows are fed in order to mass produce milk and you don’t have to worry about additives that give milk a longer shelf life. This way you reduce the risk of diseases that are associated with these additives.
You will also be contributing towards a cleaner environment. You will never have to throw out a milk carton – while it is true that they are recycled, they are made in part of plastic, and eventually this plastic degrades so much that it has to be thrown into a landfill.
Getting your milk from a milkman is also a way o support local farmers. They don’t have to worry about transporting their milk to large processing plants because they are selling it to locals. You will help reduce their costs, which drives up their profits and allows them to do more on their farms.
Using a home milk delivery service also saves you from having to go to the shop every time you run out. This can be significant is you are an extremely busy person, if you are ailing or in the winter when you don’t want to leave your home unless you really have to. There are some services that deliver more than just milk – you can get fresh produce, butter, cheeses and even fresh juice. You will be getting healthy with little effort.
One such Cambridgeshire milk delivery service is Plumbs Dairy. They have been providing milk to local residents since 1952 and you can be sure that you will not be disappointed. You can also get fresh produce and a variety of other foods.