You plan to send your child to a private school but have no idea how to go about finding a good one – where do you start? Here is a checklist:
• Talk to your child about your decision to take them to boarding school. If they feel very strongly about not changing schools you should drop the idea of private boarding schools and look at other options.
• If they feel the idea is a good one make a list of schools that you think would be ideal. Look into the academic record of each and also check the curriculum. Ask to see a typical timetable from each school and see how balanced the subject matter is.
• Look into how much pressure each school puts on its students. There are some schools in the UK that push kids far too hard and this can have damaging psychological effects. If your kid is not particularly sharp you should send them to a school where there isn’t so much competition between students.
• Do you want your child to go to a single-sex or a co-educational school? Some research has shown that children are better able to focus without distractions of the opposite sex but at the same time they may miss out on sex education.
• Do you want to send your child to a day or boarding school? Boarding schools are excellent because they eliminate the need for a daily commute and children are better focused, but it can be lonely for a child to go to boarding school especially if they are very young. It is up to you to decide what is best for your child.
One school that comes highly recommended in Hertfordshire is St. Francis College. It has an excellent curriculum and well trained teachers. You can find out more on their website, https://www.st-francis.herts.sch.uk/.